Period of implementation: March 2014 – December 2014
Тhe realization of the project „Supporting Criminal Justice Reform to Uphold the Rule of Law and Fair Trial Standards“ is based on trial monitoring of criminal cases trialed in accordance with the new Law of Criminal Procedure (LCP), based on the collected data we will present conclusions about the implementation of the new LCP and the transparency of the judiciary. A two pronged trial monitoring approach will be divided between the expert public and lay person monitoring contributing toward the comprehensive overview of the criminal procedure and transparency of judiciary. Based on the results of the tailored trial monitoring, we will receive two assessments:
- Expert Assessment of the legislative amendments needs and issues hampering the practical criminal procedure implementation
- Pilot Assessment of the publicity of trials and transparency from a position of a lay person.
Given the recent enactment of the new criminal procedure, the Assessments will serve an initial step toward the development of the Commentary to the new LCP and ex post evaluation of the new LCP.
Main project goals:
- Public scrutiny over the justice system has been strengthened through extensive trial monitoring by expert and lay public
Main project activities:
- An extensive trial monitoring by expert public has been carried out in order to assess practical implementation of the new LCP based on a tailor-made questionnaire;
- An extensive trial monitoring by lay public has been provided to assess transparency of justice and fair trial from a position of ordinary person based on a tailor-made questionnaire.
Goce Sitnikoski – Project Coordinator
tel: +389 2 613 9874
- OSCE Mission to Skopje