Period of implementation: November 2019 – April 2020
The Coalition “All for Fair Trials” started the implementation of the project “The Measure Detention Between Domestic and European Practice” from November 2019 to April 2020, with financial support from the Foundation Open Society Macedonia.
Through inspecting finalized criminal court cases (more precisely the requests and decisions determining detention) by field researchers recruited from the Coalition’s observer base, as well as desk research, (i.e. by collecting statistics from the publicly available reports of the Public Prosecutor’s Office of the Republic of North Macedonia, as well as from the reports of the Supreme and Primary Courts of the country, from international sources such as publicly available data from the Council of Europe, the United Nations and the European Union, but also other international NGOs, and by sending requests for access to public information to the competent institutions to enable the collection of data that is not publicly available or otherwise available) we will provide statistics on the use of measures for securing the presence of the defendant, which in turn will be the basis for the preparation of the final analysis by the legal experts. This analysis will offer a detection of the most common systemic problems and problems in practice, a diagnosis of the reasons for these problems in practice, and recommendations for overcoming the detected conditions, in order to meet the criteria set out in Chapter 23.
To influence judicial reform processes in terms of the use of detention and other measures for securing the presence of the defendant, in line with EU recommendations and Chapter 23
- Field research by inspecting finalized court cases
- Desk – research of statistics on the use of measures for securing the presence of the defendant
- Preparation of final analysis
- Preparation of promotional briefs and infographics
- Implementation of a public event to promote the findings and recommendations
- Prepared analysis with key findings and recommendations
- Public promotion of the analysis
- Courts in the country, Ministry of Internal Affairs, Ministry of Justice, Assembly of RNM, Academy of Judges and Public Prosecutors, judges, public prosecutors, lawyers, scholars and researchers (NGOs, university professors, law students), citizens of RNM.
Lejla Tutikj – project coordinator
tel: +389 2 6139874
Financially supported by:
Foundation Open Society – Macedonia