Coalition “All for Fair Trials” in partnership with the US Embassy in North Macedonia will implement the project “Impact of the Merit system over the judicial independence and professionalism in North Macedonia “ in the period from 01.09.2020 to 31.08.2021.
- The overall goal of this project is to contribute towards improvement of the functional independence and professionalism of the judiciary through support of the practical implementation of the merit system for appointment, promotion, disciplinary responsibility and dismissal of judges.
- To support the judicial reform processes by conducting in depth research, monitoring and evaluation of the reform process effects over the performance of the Judicial Council and the Academy for Judges and Public Prosecutors;
- To raise public scrutiny, especially among the expert public (legal practitioners, law professors, representatives of competent institutions and specialized NGOs and CSOs) regarding the appointment, promotion, demotion and dismissal of judges.
- Monitoring of sessions of the Judicial Council of Republic of North Macedonia;
- Research on the transparency of the process of appointment, promotion, disciplinary responsibility and dismissal of judges;
- Evaluation of the reasoning and justification of the Judicial Council’s decisions for selection, appointment to a higher court, as well as the decisions for disciplinary sanctions;
- Monitoring of the training programs of the Academy for Judges and Public Prosecutors., as well as monitoring of the ongoing activities carried out by the Academy.
Target groups: Judicial Council of Republic of North Macedonia, Academy for Judges and Public Prosecutors.
In-depth analysis of the performance and activities of the Judicial Council and the Academy for Judges and Public Prosecutors, as well as their impact over the functioning of the judiciary, by incorporating multiple perspectives, such as the individual independence and professionalism of the judges.
Emilija Spasovska – project coordinator
tel: +389 2 6139874
US Embassy in North Macedonia